Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Denim Rosette

Last week saw a terrific heat wave hit the Highveld and everybody wilting under the heat. The hot spell was then broken by pretty much continuous rain all weekend - which we sorely needed. Of course I had planned to visit the Bryanston Organic Market, which I have never been to on Saturday, since with the new show coming up it might be my last opportunity for a while. But that never happened. Saturday was however highly productive as I spent the whole day beading, giving me the opportunity to finish this fabulous bracelet!


This bracelet developed in an interesting way. I was using Jamie Cloud Eakin's book, Dimensional Bead Embroidery and I was trying out the different techniques she uses. I decided to try the lace ruffle edging technique. I figured it would make a nice and simple pair of earrings. So I pulled out the Sand coloured stone beads glued two of them down to little pieces of Lacy's Stiff Stuff and started to bezel the one. I then created the lace ruffle edging using Jamie's technique, which is a variation on netting. As you can see the ruffle came out very well, but my only small problem was that the bead with its ruffle was now almost 5cm wide. Too big to make earrings out of. So not I was a little stuck. I had this lovely piece of bead embroidery and did not know what to do with it.


A couple weeks went by when I picked this up again and decided to make a band for it and turn it into a bracelet. I used hex-cuts in a herringbone stitch for the band, I wanted something simple that would not detract from the focal but was not itself dull. I love the way the hexes catch the light at different angles. I chose this denim blue to compliment the bright colours in the focal. I also added a little bright blue on the edges to bring the two pieces together. 
So finally we have my Denim Rosette bracelet.  

This Saturday I will also be starting at a new show the Walkerville Farmer's Market in Walkerville, South Joburg. This will be the first of their Christmas Markets so for any locals out there reading this why not come out and try this market. 
Im looking forward to a productive market, but I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers 

No comments:

Post a Comment